SE 2: 7:- Allia Al Rufai - #FASHIONGIRL: Self taught fashion stylist is India's most sort after Fashion Influencer!
Welcome to Season 2 Episode 7 of #WEARYOURDREAMS, hosted by Alice Oluyitan and featuring inspirational conversations with girls in business.This week, Alice has a chat with Allia Al Rufai, a Fashion Stylist and Consultant based in India. From working on a Bollywood Movie set, her skill and passion was instantly recognised and she soon started working as a Fashion Assistant at Harper's Bazaar India! She has since worked her way up the ladder, working impressive roles as Chief Stylist and Fashion Editor, whilst simultaneously managing the Magazine's Mumbai office!
Here’s what we learned from Allia:
- Don't give up on your dream. Although Allia was passionate about fashion from a young age, she never studied fashion. Instead she completed a Masters degree in Commerce and an International Understanding Course in India. An opportunity came along to intern for a Bollywood movie, and Allia decided it was the right time to pursue her true passion. The movie was about the fashion industry. Not only was Allia exposed to the world of fashion, but she got to work with the best models, photographers and designers in India. Although the hours were long and the work was hard, Allia always worked with a positive attitude and a smile on her face. This resulted in Allia being recommended for more brilliant job opportunities!
- Always work with a positive attitude and be willing to adapt to new situations and environments. Soon after Allia's costume design internship, she was approached to work for Harper's Bazaar. She worked her way up from a runner, to a fashion editor to a fashion stylist! Naturally, this involved a variety of roles and challenges, each of which Allia accepted. She valued the different learning experiences that each role offered!
- Always be a step ahead of the game! Allia discusses the competitiveness of the fashion industry and how you have to make yourself really stand out in order to get noticed. Allia advises girls that want to break into the industry to do their research and stay on top of the latest trends. Be attentive to relevant blogs and magazines to constantly expand your knowledge of the fashion industry!
- Watch and learn from the people around you. Always look for opportunities to learn more and develop yourself into the best you can possibly be.
Allia's Triple Love Round Answers:
- A blog she loves: Whowhatwear! A relatable blog that every girl can identify with.
- A quote that she loves: “I believe that you should give away everything that you know, and more will come back to you.” Allia loves to share her knowledge and inspire people. She believes holding on to things doesn’t leave room for growth. The more you give away, the more you keep your mind open and free, and allow room for new knowledge!
- A woman who inspires her: Her mother! A key figure in Allia's life who has constantly guided, encouraged and supported her dreams.
Want to learn more about Allia Al Rufai?
- Check out Allia's website to see her exciting work projects and advertising campaigns!
- You can also follow her on Instagram to see her own personal style, which we absolutely adore! (@alliaalrufai)
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.