SE 2: 5:- Chelsea Matthews - #CREATIVEGIRL: How to quit your 9-5 job and start a creative marketing firm in LA and London!
Welcome to Season 2 Episode 5 of #WEARYOURDREAMS, hosted by Alice Oluyitan and featuring inspirational conversations with girls in business.This week, Alice has a chat with Chelsea Matthews, who is the CEO and founder of Matte Black, a culture marketing firm based in Los Angeles. (She's also friends with our girl Puno!) Chelsea has been in social media marketing for over 5 years, and some of her clients include Corepower Yoga, TOMS, and many more. She was recognized as a Tastemaker to Know and has been spotlighted in the Huffington Post and YouTube's The Stylish.
Here's what we learned from Chelsea:
- Network, network, network! It's super important to go out and make connections whenever possible because you never know when you'll need them. Chelsea made lots of connections when she worked in fashion, so when she started working as a social media freelancer, she already had a big network of people that she could reach out to!
- Even though social media marketing is super helpful when building your brand, you've got to use other forms of digital marketing too. So branch out beyond Twitter and Instagram! Try starting a blog or send out an email newsletter - just get your content out on multiple platforms.
- You're never too small to act big when it comes to building your team, so even if your team is small, make sure it has structure. It's also super important to support and empower your team because it'll only bring success and positive results!
- If there's something you want to do, tell the whole world about it! Talk about what you want to achieve because if you're not open about what your goals are, people won't be able to help you and connect you with helpful resources. Even if your project isn't perfect yet, just tell people about it!
Chelsea's Triple Love Round Answers
- A book she loves: Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon
- A quote that she loves: "There's no 'I' in success." Chelsea feels that success is never created alone - it comes when others challenge your ideas or add their creative input.
- An inspirational woman that she loves: Kelly Wearstler, who is an interior designer that started her own global lifestyle brand
Want to learn more about Chelsea Matthews?
- Check out the Matte Black website to learn more about their projects.
- Follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @chelseamatthews.
- Check out The Shape Shift Report, which is Matte Black's monthly digital trend and insight publication!
What did you think of our convo with Chelsea? Let us know by leaving a comment below or tweeting at @gbemigirls!
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.