Nose vs Mouth Breathing for Endurance Athletes with Mike Trees
Too many runners train in ‘the grey zone’, too fast for an easy run but too slow for a hard run. Nose breathing is a natural way to ensure your easy runs are easy, because you can not supply enough oxygen to the muscles if you run too fast.
A 2017 study published in the International Journal of Exercise Science showed breathing through your nose makes your heart rate higher than breathing through your mouth, at the same pace.
Yes, we go deep on this!
What You Will Learn
- How our current training is going
- The concept around how training actually makes you weaker
- How, why and when breathing through your mouth vs your nose works best and for what type of runner
- The dangers of nose breathing
- The great debate… caffeine or not before a workout?
- And a few more cool things to help you perform better in training, racing and life!
- "Training makes you weaker. Rest Makes you stronger."
- "Nose breathing is great because it helps you check that you aren't running too fast."
- "If you breath through your mouth, on hot dry days you will just have to accept that your mouth will be dry"
- "You have to make a choice - You can't say you want to breath through your nose and go quicker. It's one or the other."
Question of the Episode
Do you know anyone that can nose breath and still race fast?
- How much time should you really take off? https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/losing-and-regaining-fitness/
- Nose Breathing vs Mouth Breathing Article - https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a33993505/nasal-breathing/
- Mike's Instagram Post On Breathing https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQfLMoOD5OF/?utm_medium=share_sheet
- Mike Trees Coaching Services - https://nrg-coaching.com
- Mike Trees Instagram - https://instagram.com/run.nrg
- DLake Creates Instagram - https://instagram.com/dlakecreates
- Suggested episode to listen to next: Tips & Tricks to run fast and easy at age 60yo - https://dlakecreates.com/mike-trees-run-fast-and-easy-at-60/
- Podcast Concept, Production and Marketing BY POD PASTE
Read & Download the full transcript here - https://dlakecreates.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Trees-DLake-Breathing-Transcript-Final.pdf
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.