Anisa Aubin - Experienced ultra cyclist competing events such as the Transcontinental Race, the Transatlantic way and GBDURO Adventure Challenge.
Anisa Aubin, from Reading and Wokingham Cycling clubs, is an experienced ultra cyclist who has completed well know challenging events such as the Transcontinental Race (TCR) and Transatlantic way (TAW).
In 2020 she was one of 20 people who set off in the midst of a global pandemic to complete a different, rigorous format of the GBDURO adventure challenge where only 5 people finished.
The GBDURO20 required riders to be completely self-sufficient from start to finish while cycling the length of Great Britain from Land’s End to John O’Groats. They could receive no supplies or assistance whatsoever for the duration of the ride. With the exception of publicly available water outside, riders carried everything they needed to be able to reach the finish.Anisa in her own words:
“I started cycling with the goal of riding a 4,000km ride for charity, and then realised there was a lot more to learn for the journey, about the bike, the training, and myself (mind and body).
I learned from everyone around me; at the local bike kitchen, on club rides, and from Audaxers. My introduction to long distance cycling started with the Transcontinental, followed by the North-cape Norway to Tarifa Spain, the Transatlantic way, and the Paris–Brest–Paris (PBP).
Eventually, I started dabbling in off-road and when the pandemic hit and GBDURO (self-sufficient) was the only event option I took the opportunity to see what was possible.
I want to see more people encouraged to try new things, and not let other peoples perceptions of what you should be capable of stand in your way.”During this episode Anisa shares more about her passion for cycling, what it’s like being on the bike day to day, plus how her body copes with these challenges when she’s being pushed to her limits. New episodes of the Tough Girl Podcast go live every Tuesday at 7am UK time - Make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out. To support the mission to increase the amount of female role models in the media. Sign up as a Patron: www.patreon.com/toughgirlpodcast. Thank you. Show Notes
- Who is Anisa
- Being based in the UK
- Growing up in Africa
- Studying for her PhD
- Her love for the outdoors and passion for cycling
- Her cycling journey which started 4/5 years ago
- Being inspired by her cousins who rode the Tour Divide
- Wanting to raise money for a Children’s Home
- Deciding to get a road bike to learn the skills
- Learning about the Transcontinental Race (TCR) and signing up for it
- What is the Transcontinental Race
- Being solo and having to look after yourself
- Taking 15/16 days the first time doing the race
- Magical moments from the TCR and falling in love with the bike
- Learning more about herself from spending time alone in nature
- Not knowing if it was possible to get to the end
- Deciding to do the race again and why it was an accident
- Having 24hrs to prepare before the race
- Her experience the 2nd time around
- Being able to relax once the race started
- What a typical day looks like while out racing
- How her body copes with the physicality of riding hard every day
- Recovering after the races and starting to take more rest
- Losing small motor function in her hands
- Doing the GBDURO Adventure Challenge 2020 during Covid
- Riding from Land’s End to John O’Groats (2,000km) and the challenges she dealt with
- Being so focused that she doesn’t remember the weather
- What cycling looks like now and how it fits into her lifestyle
- How many bikes?!
- Getting into rowing and working with a rowing coach
- Being active everyday
- Being a mentor to other cyclists
- The Ultra Distance Scholarship
- Being inspired by Carla Molinaro
- The divide between the mental and physical side of the challenge
- Top tips for mental toughness and resilience
- Plans for 2022 - rowing, hiking and plans for walking the Camino
- Planning some smaller UK walks
- Connect with Anisa on the socials
- Final words of advice