Emily talks about Usher Kids Australia, choir and cricket
Mandy and Kate chat to Emily Shepard, co-founder of Usher Kids Australia, mum of peashoot Louis, choir member and cricketer!
Emily was inspired to start Usher Kids Australia following her son Louis’s diagnosis with the rare Usher Syndrome, a genetic condition that causes hearing and progressive vision loss, and finding no existing support network at all anywhere in the country.
After sharing her story in a local newspaper, Emily met Hollie, a fellow Usher parent, and the two went to the International Symposium on Usher Syndrome in Boston. Determined to make sure that no other parent would feel so alone on receiving the diagnosis, Emily and Holly founded Usher Kids Australia with the aim of providing support, connection and syndrome-specific information.
Usher Kids Australia has now grown to provide a range of support and advocacy services such as after-diagnosis support, community connections, online training, conferences, advocacy and links to other relevant national and international support bodies.
Emily also shares her story about Louis’ diagnosis, choosing schools and the challenges of managing his condition now he’s in his teens. Emily also loves taking time for herself by participating in PopChoir and playing cricket! She even started an All Abilities program at her local club for kids and teens with disabilities.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Emily!
· Visit the Usher Kids Australia website
· Watch Emily and Hollie’s story on SBS’s The Feed
· Watch this Focus On Abilities Film Festival story about Louis
· Check out the All Abilities Cricket program at the Bentleigh Cricket Club
· Find out more about PopChoir
· Buy our book The Invisible Life Of Us
· Get a signed copy and deck yourself out in some excellent Too Peas merch here!
· Listen to our Spotify playlist – Too Peas: Songs Our Guest Peas Love
· Melbourne forecast for Thursday November 16 – Shower or two, 17 degrees
· Join our Facebook Hangout
· Find us on YouTube
Thank you for supporting Too Peas In A Podcast! Don’t forget to rate and review
Contact us here:
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.