Artist pea Clare talks about loving Lexi-Gem
Mandy and Kate speak to artist Clare Whitney, partner of Bean Dino and mum of Lexi, a gorgeous 10-year-old with quadriplegic cerebral palsy. Lexi also has a younger sister called Summer.
Clare reflects on Lexi’s birth, after which she was hospitalised in NICU for three weeks. Lexi had suffered a stroke in utero and was soon after diagnosed with cerebral palsy. Claire then found herself on a mission to ‘cure CP’ and threw herself into research and trying multiple therapies, trying hard to provide Lexi with all the support she could find for her in those crucial first three years.
Given there was no NDIS and limited other support and funding at the time, Clare and Dino tried fundraising in order to pay for her therapies. They created this gorgeous appeal video and asked 140 people to join ‘Team Lexi Gem’ and pledge $1 a day for 365 days. Within 48 hours, they’d fundraised $80K!!
Clare is also an amazing artist and discusses her return to her visual arts practice some years after the birth of her daughters. Thanks for sharing your story with us Clare!
Check out her artwork on Instagram and her website and revise 10 years worth of the delightful Facebook page Loving Lexi-Gem
- Mandy’s been laughing over Alanah Sabatini’s TikToks and Shrinking
- Kate’s been loving Queerstralia
- Listen to our Spotify playlist –Too Peas: Songs Our Guest Peas Love
- Melbourne forecast for Thursday 30 March - morning shower or two, 19 degrees
- Join our Facebook Hangout
- Find us on YouTube
- Help spread the love for Too Peas by rating and reviewing us!
- Leave us a speakpipe
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.