ROKER RAPPORT PODCAST: The life and times of commentary legend - Mr Guy Mowbray!
BBC's MOTD commentator, former member of the legendary trio of Guy, Gilly and Gatesy on Metro Radio, academy award winner* and all round lovely lad Guy Mowbray joined us from isolation a couple weeks ago to chat.. well about everything really.. Including:
- His career coming up through local radio stations to reach the heady heights of World Cup commentary, and taking over from John Motson as the BBC's lead commentator on Match of the Day:
- The G Force and the Sunderland years; His memories of taking over pubs in London and various other towns and Cities with the lads fans, as well as covering what many see as a golden era for Sunderland;
- His feelings on the nature of club ownership in the modern era, including a few opinions on the situation at Sunderland under Ellis Short and Stewart Donald, as well as looking at the damage caused to his hometown club York City for many years;
- That MOTD scheduling argument; It's far more simple than people may think.
- Football following the COVID-19 Pandemic; What are his thoughts on how we may move forward?
- His favourite moments and memories throughout his career, and crying with Chris Waddle...
- His burning, all consuming dislike of Crabbers (Aye you Simon) as well as his struggles with getting a sweet out the wrapper about 20 minutes in.
- Everything; from being behind the scenes in the industry, to the need for more local leadership of clubs, his ongoing love affair with all things football, the licence fee debate, the future of football coverage in the digital age, the constant underrating of Jordan Henderson and so, so much more!
Stay indoors, stay safe, protect the NHS and each other! Haway!
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.