ROKER RAPPORT PODCAST: I left my heart in Roker Park - A Sunderland AFC Story with Craig Russell!
After a temporary break (sorry about that Lads and Lasses) we're back with a story from a passionate Sunderland fan who just so happened to be good enough to play for his beloved club, Chris Wynn had the chance to catch up with former Sunderland forward - and the last man to score a hat trick at Roker Park - Mr Craig Russell!
What are we talking about?
- Joining Sunderland as a schoolboy and his rise from the training pitch to the dugout;
- Craig's memories of those early years under Denis Smith and the coaches that brought him up;
- The joy and yet pressure of playing for your club, as well as his experiences on the terraces, his trips to the derbies and Wembley as a fan;
- Breaking into the first team and running to catch the bus home to tell his family he'd been picked;
- His favourite players and managers over his long association with the club, including the last decade as part of the backroom staff;
- The best goals, matches and seasons that he thinks defined his career;
- The pain of knowing Reid wasn't going to let him stay that he still feels to this day;
- How things have been since his return to the club in his new role;
All this and so, so much more! A fascinating look back at another era in Sunderland's history (with a graphic story or two thrown in) with yet another hero of many of our younger years, and another local lad who left his heart in Roker Park...
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.