Out of the Fog
For Vicky Sandison, who was told her mother’s birth mother’s name at the age of nine, it was the internet that spurred her on to investigate who she really was.
First via Friends Reunited, then MySpace and now 23&Me, Vicky has been piecing together her birth family - and, as she explains to Olly in this month’s interview, coming out of the fog…
Meanwhile, in the Zeitgeist, Ollie Peart takes an 18-hour military flight to the Falklands to uncover a world of dark tourism.
Are sites like Goose Green, Pebble Island and Mount Tumbledown, where hundreds of people lost their lives, appropriate stop-offs on a tourist trip of the islands?
Does holidaying at Anne Frank Huis, Auschwitz or the Cambodian Killing Fields diminish the terrors that happened there - or keep them alive in our collective memories?
The Zeitgeist is sponsored by Manscaped, creators of the anti-chafing, silky-soft Boxer 2.0. Get 20% Off + Free Shipping, with the code ‘Mann’ at Manscaped.com
Elsewhere, in the Foxhole, Alix Fox has been on the hunt for celebrity foreskins at the 40th annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade.
And, in our listener question of the month, Foxy assists a listener who wants to know how to recycle her rampant rabbit.
Can old sex toys be accepted as small electrical devices by British recycling centres? Can they instead be re-sold? Or made into ART? Alix, as ever, has all the answers - and takes a look at a brand new eco-friendly toy.
The Foxhole is sponsored by ExpressVPN, a great way to view adult material in hotels and other places where you don’t want to be tracked. Head to ExpressVPN.com/Mann to get an extra 3 months FREE on a one-year package!
Finally, our record of the month comes courtesy of Max Pope and the summery vibes of his new tune, Better Late Than Never.
This episode is sponsored by:
• Stitch Fix, the personal styling site that sends you great clothes to try on at home. Get started today and get 20% off when you keep all five items at at StitchFix.co.uk/mann
• Tiege Hanley, who offer simple, effective skincare for men. Get 30% off your first box, plus a free gift, at tiege.com/MANN
• Beer52, the UK's No. 1 Craft Beer Club. For a FREE case of their delicious beer, visit beer52.com/modern and just pay for the postage - and they’ll chuck in TWO EXTRA BEERS just for you!
• Athletic Greens, the ultimate daily nutritional supplement. To get a FREE one-year supply of immune-supporting Vitamin D, and 5 free travel packs with your first purchase, visit athleticgreens.com/mann
• LISTENERS LIKE YOU. If you can afford to buy us a beer each month to say thank you for making you a free 1hr+ magazine show each month - please do. We rely on your support.
… And we’ll see you again, with our annual How To Be A Dad special, on August 10th!
Presenter: Olly Mann. Producer: Matt Hill. Contributors: Ollie Peart, Alix Fox, Vicky Sandison, Max Pope. Theme Music: Django Django. Graphic Design: Terry Saunders. Copyright: Rethink Audio / Olly Mann 2022.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices