Joy as a Mindset with Stephanie Raffelock
Think about the last time you posted a picture on Instagram.
Did you take the picture at a specific flattering angle, add a filter or two, or even edit parts of your body to appear different than they really are?
What’s fascinating about this process is that we all know we do it, yet we still judge ourselves critically when it comes to how we look. When we’re not satisfied, we then move on to look at other people’s photos. Chances are, they’ve probably done the same thing—and yet we continue to compare ourselves to that idealized image.
Society is focused on showing off young, beautiful individuals; it convinces us that we need the anti-aging cream or the extra filter. But really, aging is a beautiful experience.
In this episode, we talk about the gracefulness, beauty, and wisdom that comes with aging. Aging shouldn’t be resisted or feared—it should be embraced and bring you joy.
Tune in to start embracing the wisdom that we’ve accumulated in the last 10 years.
Some Questions I Ask:
- How do we create joy in challenging times? (3:39)
- What’s your morning routine? (6:28)
- Talk to me about when you began exploring aging as a process of growth and wisdom. (8:33)
- What is your personal definition of happiness? (20:03)
- Tell me about your new book. (21:14)
- What is the greatest piece of wisdom from an elder? (29:24)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What Stephanie’s gratitude practice looks like. (5:41)
- How writing functions as a doorway into the examined life. (6:53)
- How women can embrace aging. (15:32)
- How to cultivate a joyful mindset. (20:07)
- How to overcome ageism in America. (26:04)
Connect with Stephanie:
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.