Roll On: Owning The Matrix
Cryptocurrency. Blockchain. Digital trading cards. Burnt Bansky & NFTs. And of course, flying cats with pop tart bodies.
These are just a few of many internet developments dissected in today’s edition of ‘Roll On’, wherein Adam Skolnick and I usher you into the digital age with droll repartee, raillery, and shrewd observations on concepts, issues, and matters relevant and whimsical. We share good news and bad. We perform a bit of show and tell. We banter and blather. And as always, we answer your questions.
Aside from serving as my cogitative, neighborly, and magnanimous sidecar hype-beast, Adam Skolnick is an activist and veteran journalist best known as David Goggins’ Can’t Hurt Me, co-author. Adam writes about adventure sports, environmental issues, and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is the author of One Breath and is currently using the ‘new dad’ excuse to avoid working on his novel.
Other topics we explore in today’s conversation include:
- Adam and Jason’s 4 x 4 x 48 Goggins’ challenge recap;
- an update on the Iron Cowboy’s ‘Conquer 100’ challenge;
- Rich’s new cold plunge routine;
- NFTs and the way the internet is upending finance;
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, and the future of digital assets; and
- the nuanced ways in which human beings are becoming human avatars.
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- How do you stay motivated in your fitness journey?
- How can you be a lighthouse of conscious living for your children?
- What are the best ways to prepare for high-altitude endurance races?
Thank you to Will from Portland, Oregon, Tanya from Lucerne, Switzerland, and Christopher from Boston, Massachusetts for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
ROKA: Cutting edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable frames. Visit roka.com and enter code RichRoll for 20% off.
Calm: The app designed to help you ease stress and get the best sleep of your life with guided meditations, sleep stories, and more. Right now, my listeners can get a special limited-time promotion of 40% off a Calm Premium subscription at calm.com/richroll. It includes unlimited access to ALL of Calm’s amazing content. Get started today!
Outerknown: Founded by pro-surfer Kelly Slater, Outerknown creates high quality, sustainably produced, and great looking men’s and women’s clothes, ethically manufactured in the world’s cleanest solar-powered factory. When you’re ready to amp up your wardrobe with awesome sustainable duds, go to outerknown.com and enter my code RICHROLL at checkout to get 25% off your full-price order.
Seed: Stewarding the future of how we will use bacteria to restore and sustain human and planetary health, Seed’s DS-01TM Daily Synbiotic combines 24 clinically-verified and naturally-occurring, probiotic strains with plant-based prebiotics. Visit seed.com/RICHROLL to learn more.
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- YouTube: Rich Roll Podcast Clips Channel
- David Goggins: 4x4x48 Challenge
- James Lawernce: @theironcowboy
- Climbing: Alex Honnold Announces New Podcast Climbing Gold
- The Cold Plunge: About
- New York Times: For Creators, Everything Is for Sale
- New York Times: JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as ‘NFT Mania’ Gathers Pace
- New York Times: The $69 Million Beeple NFT Was Bought With Cryptocurrency
- New York Times: What Are NFTs, Anyway? One Just Sold for $69 Million.
- New York Times: Beeple Has Won. Here’s What We’ve Lost.
- New York Times: From Crypto Art to Trading Cards, Investment Manias Abound
- New York Times: Why an Animated Flying Cat With a Pop-Tart Body Sold for Almost $600,000
- Foundation App: Auction
- Vox: NFTs, the digital bits of anything that sell for millions of dollars, explained
- The Verge: NFTs, explained
- Seth’s Blog: NFTs are a dangerous trap
- Coindesk: Banksy Work Physically Burned and Digitized as NFT in Art-World First
- YouTube: Authentic Banksy Art Burning Ceremony (NFT)
- Memo Akten: The Unreasonable Ecological Cost of #CryptoArt (Part 1)
- Erik Trautman: A response to Seth Godin on NFTs
- IEEE Spectrum: Ethereum Plans to Cut Its Absurd Energy Consumption by 99 Percent
- TubeFilter: Logan Paul Sells $5 Million Worth Of NFTs Ahead Of His Pokémon Box Break
- Top Shot: Own The Best Moments From NBA History
- OpenSea: Original Banksy Morons
- Train Right: Do Altitude Training Masks Work for Endurance Athletes?
I'm proud to announce my new book 'Voicing Change'. To learn more & pre-order now, visit, richroll.com/vc
There are a few simple ways you can support the show and the content we strive to craft and share every single week
Patronize Our Sponsors: Supporting the companies that support the show! For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, click the ‘Sponsors’ tab in the ‘Shop’ menu.
Spread The Word: Help grow our reach by sharing your enthusiasm for the podcast and/or your favorite episodes by posting about it on social media.
Thank The Team: I do not do this alone. Send your love to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.