Julie Piatt On Sacred Commerce & SriMu
Today the wise & ethereal Julie Piatt -- my wife and partner for the last 20+ years -- returns for her umpteenth appearance on the podcast.
But this time we try something different.
As longtime listeners know well, Julie is a being of many talents. Although widely lauded for her series of bestselling plant-based cookbooks, the one who goes by SriMati is also an artist, musician, yogi, healer, mother of four and serial entrepreneur.
In addition, Julie hosts the For The Life of Me podcast. She reigns over Water Tiger, her online spiritual community. And she’s the ‘Mother Arc’ (her term for founder & CEO) of SriMu, her plant-based cheese brainchild start-up.
Over the years, Julie been a recurring source of spiritual wisdom on the podcast, dropping many a pearl on everything from parenting and creativity to navigating conflict, managing relationships, dealing with financial hardship, and countless other subjects.
Today's episode, however, is something new -- an exploration of Julie as entrepreneur.
Channeling my inner Guy Raz, I give Julie the ‘How I Built This’ treatment — tracing her background growing up in Alaska through her career in fashion. Building a garment line. The pain of shuttering it. The pivot into home construction and interior design. And how all of these experiences inform the business and culture of SriMu, her most successful start-up to date.
You can call me biased. I am. But that doesn’t change the fact that she is poised for world domination with what truly is the best, next evolution of cheese.
Aside from the business bent, this conversation is centered on the power of meeting others — and yourself — in love.
As humans, we self-identify with the stories we tell ourselves. We cling to illusions of safety and security. But this moment is challenging the firmness of the ground upon which we stand. Julie reminds us of the impermanence of everything.
Embracing this vital truth will bring you greater peace. It will broaden your empathy for others. And help you identify the answers you seek.
Hint: they have been inside you all along.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
Athletic Greens: 75 whole food sourced ingredients designed to optimize 5 key areas of health, Athletic Greens is the delicious daily habit that sets you up for a healthy future. I take the packets everywhere I go. So invest in your health without compromise! Go to: athleticgreens.com/richroll and claim your special offer today: 20 FREE travel packs valued at $79 with your first purchase.
Fully: From the popular Jarvis adjustable standing desks to their every-which-way active office chairs, to their many movement supporting accessories — anti-fatigue mats, treadmill desks and more — Fully is all about helping you bring more movement, energy and joy to your work and life. From now Oct 5 through Oct 19, Fully is giving Rich Roll listeners 15% off any chair. Go to Fully.com/chairs to learn more.
For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url's and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
- Connect with Julie: SriMati.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- Plantpower Meal Planner: meals.richroll.com
- SriMu Artisanal ‘Not Cheese’: SriMu.com
- Julie’s Book: This Cheese Is Nuts
- Julie’s Podcast: For The Life of Me
- Julie’s Music: SriMati
- Julie’s Jai Yoga Foundational Series
- Rich and Julie’s Cookbooks: The Plantpower Way & The Plantpower Way: Italia
- New York Times: Vegans Go Glam
- MindBodyGreen: Julie Piatt On How She Stayed Sane Through A Bankruptcy Scare
- Nine: How to convert to a plant-based diet (without crawling back to meat)
- *Bloomberg: Should Dairies Go Vegan? I Know, It Sounds Nuts
- *Bloomberg: Oatly's Path to Alt-Milk World Domination Starts in New Jersey
- The Tab: Explained: People are suddenly saying they’re boycotting Oatly, but why?
- The Guardian: Activists sour on Oatly vegan milk after stake sold to Trump-linked Blackstone
*Since the recording of this episode, Oatly has received considerable backlash given the integrity of their investor, Blackstone.
- RRP #506 Taking care in The Time of Coronavirus
- RRP #485 Julie Piatt on Seeing the Divinity in Everything
- RRP #465: Keep Evolving: Julie Piatt Returns
- RRP #387: The Power Of Ceremony And Ritual With Julie Piatt
- RRP #361: AMORE! Rich & Julie On Relationships — Plus Italian Cuisine 2.0
- RRP #295: Ditching Dairy: The Doyenne Of Vegan Cuisine On Food As A Portal For Transformation
- RRP #254: How To Build An Authentic Brand with Julie Piatt
- RRP #200: Let’s Talk About Death with Julie Piatt
- RRP #333: How To Build A Conscious Relationship with Julie Piatt
- RRP #343: Creative Partnerships with Julie Piatt
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity url's and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Margo Lubin and Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Leia Marasovich and Ali Rogers; Interstitial music by SriMati Music and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.