Our Social Dilemma — Thoughts on Technology, Addiction, and the Illusion of Free Will
Welcome to another edition of Roll On—my bi-monthly deep dive into (semi) current events, topics of audience interest, and of course answers to your questions.
Commanding co-host duties is my hype man Adam Skolnick, an activist and veteran journalist perhaps best known as David Goggins' Can't Hurt Me co-author. Adam has written about adventure sports, environmental issues and civil rights for outlets such as The New York Times, Outside, ESPN, BBC, and Men’s Health. He is also the author of One Breath, which chronicles the life and death of America's greatest freediver. He's also currently hard at work on a novel and just welcomed his newborn son into the world.
Some of the many topics explored in today's conversation include:
- The new Netflix documentary, 'The Social Dilemma,' and the dangerous human impact of social media
- The mental health effects of the pandemic on teens
- Rich's exploration of barefoot running
- Ethan Hawke's new TED Talk, Give Yourself Permission To Be Creative
- 30 Day Single-Use Plastic Challenge Update
- The ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship
- Tony Riddle's #3barepeaks challenge
- Maya Gabeira's big wave surfing world record
In addition, we answer the following listener questions:
- How do you balance climate consciousness with realistic needs?
- How do you know if you are living your purpose or should pursue a career change?
- How do we navigate professional relationships in the age of Zoom?
Thank you to Mark from Germany, Josh from outside D.C., and Victoria from Ottawa for your questions. If you want your query discussed, drop it on our Facebook Page, or better yet leave a voicemail at (424) 235-4626.
Peace + Plants,
Listen, Watch & Subscribe
Thanks to this week’s sponsors
ROKA Eyewear: Cutting edge eyewear & apparel built for top performance. Ultralight construction. Arms-Up Design. Official USAT Partner. If you’re active like me and wear prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses, ROKA combines the no-slip performance you’ve been waiting for with fashionable design. To save 20% on a new pair of killer sunglasses or prescription eyewear, visit roka.com/richroll.
Public Goods: One version of every essential in one place. Healthy, high quality, sustainable and affordable home goods, personal care products, and premium pantry staples. Everything is ethically sourced and free of harmful additives. The folks at Public Goods are generously giving listeners of the show $15 to spend on their first purchase — just go to publicgoods.com/RICHROLL or use code RICHROLL at checkout.
Seed: Stewarding the future of how we will use bacteria to restore and sustain human and planetary health, Seed’s Daily Synbiotic combines 24 clinically-verified, naturally-occurring, probiotic strains with plant-based prebiotics. Head on over to seed.com/RICHROLL to learn more about their game-changing Daily Synbiotic.
For a complete list of all RRP sponsors, vanity URLs and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
- Connect With Adam: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Adam's Books: Can't Hurt Me | One Breath
- Netflix: The Social Dilemma
- The New York Times: ‘The Social Dilemma’ Review: Unplug and Run
- Wall Street Journal: ‘The Social Dilemma’ Review: Sharing a Sense of Dismay
- LA Times: A call to digital arms, ‘The Social Dilemma’ demands change
- GQ: The Conscience of Silicon Valley
- Making Sense: What is technology doing to us? A Conversation with Tristan Harris
- Scribd: A Call to Minimize Distraction & Respect Users' Attention by Tristan Harris
- Non-profit: Center For Humane Technology
- YouTube: Who owns your data? Jaron Lanier has the answer. | Andrew Yang
- Time: How Conspiracy Theories Are Shaping the 2020 Election—and Shaking the Foundation of American Democracy
- Fast Company: We can have social media as we know it, or we can have democracy
- The New York Times: Historic Wildfires Rage in The Western States
- TED: Give yourself permission to be creative | Ethan Hawke
- RRP 463: Tony Riddle Wants You To Rewild Your Life
- YouTube: You've Been Running Wrong
- VIVO: Barefoot shoes
- ÖTILLÖ: The Swimrun World Championship
- ÖTILLÖ: 15 Years of Swimrun - The Founder's Story
- YouTube: Maya Gabeira Breaks Guinness World Record for the Largest Wave By a Woman | 73.5 Feet at Nazaré
Notable People Discussed
- Tristan Harris - Former design ethicist at Google
- Jaron Lanier - Virtual Reality Pioneer
- Bj Fogg - Founder of the Persuasive Technology Lab
- Vincent Kartheiser - Actor in The Social Dilemma
- Skyler Gisondo - Actor in The Social Dilemma
- Shoshana Zuboff - Harvard professor
- Tim Kendall - Pinterest President & former Facebook director of monetization
- Justin Rosenstein - Invented the Like button on Facebook
- Guillaume Chaslot - Created the YouTube recommended-video infrastructure
- Tony Riddle: Three Bare Peaks Challenge
Related Podcasts You Might Enjoy
- RRP #525: Roll On: America's Overdue(R)Evolution
- RRP #528: Roll On: Owning Your Story
- RRP #531: Roll On: Finding Purpose
- RRP #534: Roll On: How To Set & Achieve a Goal
- RRP #537: Roll On: Cancel Culture
- RRP #540: Roll On: Prophets Walk Among Us
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE PODCAST?
Tell Your Friends & Share Online!
Donate: Check out our Patreon account
Support The Sponsors: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our sponsors. For a complete list of all RRP sponsors and their respective vanity URLs and discount codes, visit my Resources page and click "Sponsors".
Thanks to Jason Camiolo for production, audio engineering and show notes; Blake Curtis for video, editing and graphics; portraits by Ali Rogers; and theme music by Tyler Piatt. Trapper Piatt & Hari Mathis.
*Disclosure: Books and products denoted with an asterisk are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.