How to Make an Audio Drama Podcast
Normally we’d be inviting you to embark on a dangerous expedition into the unknown in Liberty – a serialized sci-fi audio drama – but in this very special episode, we’re keeping things on Earth and going behind the scenes!
Have you ever wondered what goes into creating your favorite audio drama series like Liberty: Critical Research, Night Vale, Tanis, or even our RPG series Dark Dice? Maybe you’ve even wondered what it would take to make your own? Join Fool and Scholar Productions as we take you through the creative process!
In this special episode we cover everything from idea to upload including: recording, acting, creating sound effects and promoting your creation.
- 1:52 – Why Audio Drama?
- 5:32 – Who are we?
- 6:40 – Writing to Your Strengths
- 10:05 – Writing an Audio Drama
- 15:30 – Casting Voices and More About Writing
- 26:45 – Gear That’s Helpful
- 30:47 – Recording Your Actors
- 37:27 – Voice Acting Interview with Paul Mella (Dr. Kovski)
- 49:24 – Sound Effects and Ambience
- 55:36 – Editing
- 56:50 – Mixing/Mastering Interview with Brandon Strader (Sound Engineer)
- 1:08:32 – Uploading & Consistency
- 01:11:24 – Promotion
- 01:16:02 – Most Importantly…
- 01:17:38 – Q/A
- 01:23:13 – Podcast Recommendations
- Freesound.org – (Free Sound Effects)
- Sonniss (Sound Effects that Cost Money)
- Kevin Macleod (Free Music)
- Audio Drama HUB Group (formerly the Audio Drama Production Podcast)(Advice, Friendship)
- Podtrac (Track Your Growth)
Podcasts to check out:
- Limetown (Season 1) (horror)
- The Black Tapes (horror)
- Small Town Horror (horror)
- Psuedopod (horror)
- The NoSleep Podcast (horror)
- Edict Zero (sci-fi)
- SAYER (sci-fi)
- Wooden Overcoats (comedy)
- The Orphans (sci-fi)
Gear we use: