#123 My Eczema Journey with Dr Ruth Cammish
Eczema is the topic of today’s conversation with Dr Ruth Cammish. An NHS GP, a GP trainer and the Regional Director for the British Society of Lifestyle Medicine in Manchester. She has been a GP for 13 years, mostly working in a deprived inner city area and her own experiences as a patient with severe eczema has highlighted how holistic care is a vital part of any long term condition, especially chronic skin diseases. You’ll hear about how Dr Ruth suffered severe eczema her whole life, ending up on cyclosporin, an immunosuppressant medication and discovering topical steroid withdrawal.
As a practice doctor, Ruth and her colleagues have been awarded a CQC ‘outstanding’ rating, twice, based on their approach to their patient population which includes group consultations, an exercise class for COPD patients and their work for vulnerable patients.
On today’s podcast you’ll learn about:
- What eczema is and who it affects
- The link with food intolerance and allergy
- “Topical Steroid Withdrawl” and how that occurs
- The mechanisms behind eczema as a disease
- How to approach an eczema patient
- Environmental triggers - temperature, pollen, pollution, dust
- Household irritants - skincare products, beauty care, clothing, laundry detergents
- Stress and why it triggers the immune system
- Diet, Gut health, Nature therapy and more
- Supplements and Skin
Dr Ruth can be found on Instagram @drruthskinjourney and I really hope you enjoy the show.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.