BONUS EPISODE: Squats, Purpose and Plants. Your Healthy Ageing Prescription with Dr Kate Gregorevic
“One of the greatest gifts of being a doctor for older adults is the constant reminder that life is fragile, finite and precious.”
On the show today is Dr Kate Gregorevic - a geriatrician and internal medicine physician. She works in both acute hospital medicine and community settings and has completed a PhD looking at the impact of positive psychosocial factors in the development of frailty in older adults
Lifestyle medicine is a core feature of Kate’s clinical practice, and nutrition, exercise and sleep are integral to developing plans to optimise her patients’ health. Her approach goes beyond physical, by working with people to identify their own priorities and values, and always centring these in any management plans.
On the show today we talk about:
- How we balance the need to change health behaviours to improve longevity with the need to enjoy today
- Why we should focus on creating health in the present, as something that is valuable in its' own right and helps us engage in life, rather than something for the future
- The importance of including social and emotional wellbeing in any definition of health
- The perspective of a Geriatrician
- Assessing someone’s readiness to change and tips to motivate them
- Sarcopenia and how to prevent this
- Your prescription for healthy ageing (Squats, Purpose and Plants)
- The impact of loneliness and how it activates a stressor response
Please do check out Dr Kate's book - Staying Alive - it's a really great read and has some fascinating information
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.