Episode 24 - International Communication in English with Chia Suan Chong
Have you ever felt that your English is good, but you're still not getting your message across?
Speaking a language isn't just about getting the words right – especially when you're dealing with people from all over the world.
In this episode, I interview the awesome Chia Suan Chong, an expert in international communication and English as a lingua franca.
We talk about:
- what English as a lingua franca is;
- who can communicate better in English: native speakers or non-native speakers (the answer will surprise you);
- how to be polite in English;
- an interesting case of misunderstandings between catering ladies from India and baggage handlers at Heathrow Airport;
- how communication skills can save lives;
- whether teachers are prescriptivists or descriptivists;
- how giving grammar reasons and not grammar rules can be better teaching;
- how language can show us our similarities and differences.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did (which was a lot!)