Daily: Why Labour needs to love our country, with Dan Jarvis
Dan Jarvis, Labour MP for Barnsley Central, Mayor of the Sheffield City Region and author of the memoir Long Way Home Love, Life, Death and Everything in Between, talks to Alex Andreou about why love of country could be Labour’s route back to power, why the left are so reluctant to be patriotic… and how his extraordinary life has shaped his political outlook.
• “On numerous occasions in 2019 I prepared myself for a physical altercation, such was the anger on the doorstep.”
• “In 100 years of the Labour Party, nobody has inherited a more difficult situation than Keir Starmer.”
• “People want their MPs to have had real life experiences. I’m a better MP and Mayor because I’ve done other things.”
• “COVID provides us with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to for radical change. I really hope we take it”
• “It’s entirely consistent to love your country, but also to want it to be better. And we haven’t reached our potential.”
Presented by Alex Andreou. Produced by Andrew Harrison. Assistant producers Jelena Sofronijevic and Jacob Archbold. Music by Kenny Dickinson. Audio production by Alex Rees. THE BUNKER is a Podmasters Production
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices