Daily: The Hammer and the Dance – Overnight COVID expert Tomas Pueyo
COVID is a paradise of hindsight – a world of self-appointed experts who tell us what should have happened – and sometimes rewriting what did happen to suit themselves. But what about those people who could see what was going to happen?
On March 10 2020, writer Tomas Pueyo posted an article called Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now – it made strong argument for rapid lockdowns at a time when Boris Johnson was still arguing that washing our hands was enough. 40 million views later, he joins Justin Quirk to discuss what he got right, what he got wrong – and where countries need to go next.
- “Once you use the hammer, you can't use it over and over again.”
- “Credentials are only one source of trustworthiness.”
- “COVID has exposed how decision making in Western democracies is broken.”
- “You know the system is broken when every country failed.”
- “You can fulfil your needs for storytelling by watching Netflix.”
- “The media's goal is to grab your attention, not to get your insights.”
- “There's more hours of work per word in a book, than a newspaper article.”
- “The easiest thing is to remove the stimulus. If you don’t go on Facebook, you wouldn't fall into that black hole of content.”
Presented by Justin Quirk. Produced by Andrew Harrison. Assistant producers: Jacob Archbold and Jelena Sofronijevic. Music by Kenny Dickinson. Audio production by Alex Rees. THE BUNKER is a Podmasters Production
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.