Daily: THE ACCIDENTAL PRESIDENT – The disasters that made Trump
Was the Trump Presidency just a publicity stunt that got out of hand? Film-maker James Fletcher’s new documentary on the 2016 campaign The Accidental President is streaming now on Amazon and Apple TV. He talks to Dorian Lynskey about what fed the Black Swan event of the Trump presidency, how Trump’s freestyle campaign left his Republican rivals with nothing to say, and how it could be that – even after four years of chaos and corruption – Trump increased his popular vote in 2020.
- “This was an insane conflagration of events”
- “The Republicans slept-walked into the 2016 election and a complacent Hillary Clinton thought it was in the bag.”
- “This was a freestyle, open-mic campaign… Any professional campaign advisor would have told Trump to do exactly the opposite of what he did.”
- “Hillary Clinton just could never convincingly explain why she wanted to be President.”
- “Democrats just laughed at Trump without understanding what a serious danger he posed.”
- “Has Trump really changed the system forever? Are we really that shallow and ridiculous?”
Presented by Dorian Lynskey. Produced by Andrew Harrison. Assistant producers Jacob Archbold and Jelena Sofronijevic. Music by Kenny Dickinson. Audio production by Alex Rees. THE BUNKER is a Podmasters Production
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.