Daily: MASKS under the scientific spotlight
If there’s one symbol of the COVID fight it’s the face mask – but do we understand the consequences of a masked society? Professor Graham Martin, Director of Research at the Healthcare Improvement Studies Institute, tells Ros Taylor why the issue of masks isn’t as clear-cut as we think, why the social dynamic of masks is so important, and how we can improve the quality of debate surrounding COVID-19.
- “Science is about debate – it’s about disagreement.”
- “What we’re seeing now is science under the spotlight”
- “It’s not so much scientific debate that breeds conspiracy theories, but any effort to suppress debate”
- “If you see anyone who isn’t wearing a mask, don’t assume they’re doing it out of bloody-mindedness”
- “I would say to anyone, if you can wear a mask, do so”
Presented by Ros Taylor. Produced by Andrew Harrison. Assistant producer Jacob Archbold. Music by Kenny Dickinson. Audio production by Alex Rees. THE BUNKER is a Podmasters Production.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.