Microbiome profiling techniques: from immunology to agriculture
In this episode of the Talking Techniques podcast, we explore microbiomes and the techniques used to profile them. Get an overview of the different techniques’ working principles, their pros and cons and the different applications that they are best suited to.
Providing an expert insight into this field is Annabelle Damerum, Microbiome R&D Scientist at Zymo Research. Annabelle reveals some key tips best practice when profiling the microbiome and details the importance of an emerging aspect of the field: the vaginal microbiome.
- Into: 00:00-01:50
- Why it is important to profile microbiomes. 01:50-04:15
- Key applications of microbiome profiling: 04:15-06:10
- Techniques used to profile the microbiome and their working principles: 06:10-09:20
- Targeted sequencing: 06:10-08:00
- Shotgun metagenomics: 08:00-09:00
- Metatranscriptomics: 09:00-9:15
- The strengths and limitations of these techniques: 09:12-
- Targeted sequencing: 09:20-10.15
- Shotgun metagenomics: 10:15-11:25
- Metatranscriptomics: 11:25-11:50
- Matching techniques with applications: 11:50-13:30
- Tips for best practice for using these techniques: 13:30-16:25
- What is one thing you would ask for to improve the ability of microbiome profiling techniques: 16:55-18:10
- Investigating the vaginal microbiome: 18:10-20:55
- Conclusions and closing: 20:55-22:10
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.