How Digital Crisis Management Works in 2021
Dave Fleet, Managing Director, Head of Global Digital Crisis at Edelman, is on the Social Pros Podcast to share his insights into modern digital crisis management.
Huge thanks to our amazing sponsors for helping us make this happen. Please support them; we couldn't do it without their help! This week:
Full Episode Details
In times of crisis, it pays to plan ahead and act fast, says Dave Fleet, Managing Director, Head of Global Digital Crisis at Edelman. Dave joins the Social Pros Podcast to discuss how the ways businesses handle crises today have changed over the past few years.
He talks about the impact of the digital world and how businesses have had to completely change the way they respond to crises. According to Dave, the old ways businesses managed crises are now obsolete. Today, organizations need to plan ahead and act fast in a way that’s rooted in trust. Misinformation spreads like wildfire.
Dave discusses the use of multimedia content and different platforms to handle crises and why businesses need to be careful not to make things worse.
In This Episode:
- 4:52 – Dave explains the scope and scale of the work that Edelman does
- 6:24 – How crises play out online in the modern world
- 10:38 – Which is more important, how you respond to a crisis vs. being prepared
- 13:31 – What a well-formed crisis response looks like
- 14:33 – Why you should communicate early in a crisis
- 17:07 – How Edelman uses data and social listening to keep on top of a crisis
- 20:04 – How Dave and Edelman counsel customers in a crisis
- 22:41 – Dave’s tip for better utilizing social listening
- 24:12 – Why video communication is preferred for some customers
- 29:05 – How Edelman uses paid advertising as part of its crisis response strategy
- 32:07 – What the PR crisis “war room” looks like in 2021
- 35:26 – Social media’s place at the table during an online crisis
- 37:28 – The best ways to prepare for digital crises in 2021
- 41:17 – Dave’s one tip for those looking to become a social pro
Visit SocialPros.com for more insights from your favorite social media marketers.