Afghanistan U.S. troop debacle (with Elliot Ackerman, Carol Leonnig, & Phil Rucker)
Back in April, President Biden announced the full U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan by Sept. 11th. With said date now less than a month away, the news out of the region is that city after city is falling to Taliban forces. And now the U.S. is asking the Taliban to spare its embassy in the capital city of Kabul with the anticipation of an upcoming fight for its control. Quite the mess to say the least. Where do we go from here? Everyone agrees that this solution isn't the best, yet no one has a solution that satisfies all those involved. One thing we do know for sure is that more blood will be shed in the coming days, months, and potentially years in a place the U.S. has spent so much time, money, and loss of life in order to protect. This is quickly shaping up to be another Saigon.
- Elliot Ackerman (@elliotackerman), Author and Fmr. U.S. Marine, served multiple tours in both Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Carol Leonnig (@CarolLeonnig), Washington Post reporter, MSNBC contributor, and co-author of I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Catastrophic Final Year
- Phil Rucker (@PhilipRucker), Washington Post Senior Washington Correspondent, NBC News Political Analyst, and co-author of I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Catastrophic Final Year
- Michael Isikoff (@Isikoff), Chief Investigative Correspondent, Yahoo News
- Daniel Klaidman (@dklaidman), Editor in Chief of Yahoo News
- 2034: A Novel of the Next World War - Here.
- Carol Leonnig Washington Post Profile page - Here.
- Phil Rucker Washington Post Profile page - Here.
- I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Catastrophic Final Year book - Here.
- Hindsight Up Front: Afghanistan: Ambassador Mark Green in conversation with H.R. McMaster - Here.
- Biden announces troop withdrawal by Sept....
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.