Five Things You Need to Know About the Border Crisis
1. There is a legitimate rise in people seeking to cross the border both illegally and legally, but we are not at record levels of immigration. (02:33)
2. The Northern Triangle (08:33)
3. For most of our history, border deportations were pretty informal if not absent. (14:20)
4. The Trump administration does not believe the U.S. should welcome the persecuted or oppressed. (18:57)
5. Increased migration to the US is part of an international trend -- this could be the new normal. (23:51)
- Our 2016 primer on immigration
- General Chapman's Last Stand (Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell)
- Let Me Count the Ways (This American Life)
- Radiolab Border Trilogy
Pantsuit Politics in the Wild:
- Nuance Nation Tour tickets
- Evolving Faith (October 4-5)
- Ideas at Work (October 16)
- Blissdom (November 14-16)
Thank you for being a part of our community! We couldn't do what we do without you. To become a tangible supporter of the show, please visit our Patreon page, purchase a copy of our book, I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening), or share the word about our work in your own circles.
- Trump scores partial win on asylum ban as court narrows injunction (Politico)
- Thousands of asylum-seekers left waiting at the US-Mexico border (PRI)
- Trump officials pressing to slash refugee admissions to zero next year (Politico)
- New Border Apprehension Numbers Show Brutal Effect of ‘Metering’ at Ports of Entry (WOLA)
- Central America’s Violent Northern Triangle (Council on Foreign...
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.