Episode of the Year: What You Need to Know about Abortion Law
After polling our listeners, you have selected our 2019 Episode of the Year! Today, we're replaying our policy set from May about abortion law. You'll hear our Five Things You Need to Know About Abortion Law followed by our conversation about the complexities and nuances surrounding this issue.
Thanks to everyone who voted; we know abortion is a tough topic, so it speaks well of our community that you all were and continue to be so ready to engage with it.
Five Things to Know About Abortion Law:
- Abortion has a long emotional history in the US that Roe vs. Wade didn't stop.
- Ohio, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Georgia have passed "heart beat bills".
- Heartbeat bills and outright bans on abortion in all circumstances are surging in popularity, despite the fact that public opinion is largely more nuanced about abortion.
- Stare decisions recently took a hit on the Supreme Court.
- Kentucky's law has already been struck down in court. Mississippi and Ohio's are already being challenged. Georgia and Alabama laws are also expected to be challenged.
Thank you for being a part of our community! We couldn't do what we do without you. To become a tangible supporter of the show, please visit our Patreon page, purchase a copy of our book, I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening), or share the word about our work in your own circles.
Resources on Abortion Law:
- New poll finds "dramatic shift" on abortion attitudes
- Gallup polls on abortion
- Abortion would automatically be illegal in these states if Roe v. Wade is overturned
- Abortion Opponents Think They’re Winning. Have They Set Themselves Up to Fail?
- ‘The Time Is Now’: States Are Rushing to Restrict Abortion, or to Protect It
- Missouri Democratic lawmakers slam abortion bill
- Missouri Lawmakers Pass Bill Criminalizing Abortion at About 8 Weeks of Pregnancy
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.