5 Things You Need to Know About Abortion Law
This week kicked off our annual Patreon drive! Visit our Patreon page to become part of the incredible community that supports our work and get access to exciting bonus content and perks.
Today, we're sharing five things you need to know about abortion law in advance of a deeper conversation about recent events on Tuesday's episode.
- Abortion has a long emotional history in the US that Roe vs. Wade didn't stop.
- Ohio, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Georgia have passed "heart beat bills".
- Heartbeat bills and outright bans on abortion in all circumstances are surging in popularity, despite the fact that public opinion is largely more nuanced about abortion.
- Stare decisions recently took a hit on the Supreme Court.
- Kentucky's law has already been struck down in court. Mississippi and Ohio's are already being challenged. Georgia and Alabama laws are also expected to be challenged.
Resources on Abortion Law
- New poll finds "dramatic shift" on abortion attitudes
- Gallup polls on abortion
- Abortion would automatically be illegal in these states if Roe v. Wade is overturned
- Abortion Opponents Think They’re Winning. Have They Set Themselves Up to Fail?
- ‘The Time Is Now’: States Are Rushing to Restrict Abortion, or to Protect It
Our book, I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening), is available! You can purchase it now - for yourself, for friends, for your representative, for your senator, for everyone! We appreciate all of you who are spreading the word about the book to your local bookstores, libraries, and social circles.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.