The North will rise again: ANDY BURNHAM is our guest
Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham joins us to talk about Westminster vs the Regions and whether Labour is opposing Johnson hard enough. What actually happened in that moment when London strong-armed Manchester into Tier 3 with scant compensation? Will the Government’s derisory 1% pay rise for nurses turn into a political albatross on the scale of Black Wednesday or Iraq? And as the levelling up scam begins to unravel with money flooding to Conservative constituencies, how can Canterbury be placed in Level 1 but Salford Level 2?
Plus: Will the Meghan Markle Royal racism scandal be reduced to another stupid culture war point instead of a real moment of change? And the panel try to persuade soft southerner Ian that there’s life outside London.
- “Westminster makes frauds of people. It’s much more fun being a mayor.” – Andy Burnham
- “We should stop calling this an insulting pay rise for nurses. It’s a pay cut.” – Ian Dunt
- “Levelling up is the most potent theme since I’ve been in politics. Labour needs to not just criticise it but set out how we’d do it better.” – Andy Burnham
- “To say pay rises for nurses aren’t affordable just won’t wash any more. You’ve just chosen not to afford it, haven’t you?” – Andy Burnham
- “Would the Government have done what they did to us to London? The answer has to be, no they wouldn’t.” – Andy Burnham
- “If Labour’s London-centric it’s setting itself up for a slow death.” – Andy Burnham
Presented by Naomi Smith with Minnie Rahman and Ian Dunt. Produced by Andrew Harrison. Assistant producers: Jacob Archbold and Jelena Sofronijevic. Audio production by Alex Rees. OH GOD, WHAT NOW? is a Podmasters production.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.