Free Speech For You… But Not You
What if they gave a War on Woke and nobody came? The Government decides to both defend free speech (if you’re a right winger on campus) and restrict it (if you run a stately home named after a slave owner). So that makes sense. Plus: As there’s no credible recovery programme for education, Gráinne Hallahan of the Times Education Supplement joins us to set one out. Gav, call us yeah?
Meanwhile… Ros gets a COVID jab! The Arts get their own special No Deal Brexit! And in the Extra Bit, we watch Adam Curtis’s collage-doc digital jeremiad Can’t Get You Out Of My Head.
- “Each side of this culture war is proclaiming itself as the true arbiter of history.” – Nina Schick
- “Voltaire and Rousseau wrestled with free speech. Now the Government has decided it’s time for Gavin Williamson to sort it out.” – Alex Andreou
- “The Government likes the idea of free speech but doesn’t want on engage in any of the complexities.” – Ros Taylor
- “History is never static.… Let Britain’s monuments be evaluated in terms of what they mean now.” – Nina Schick
- “Boris Johnson thinks schools are safe, it’s just the children going into them that make them dangerous…” – Gráinne Hallahan
- “If the National Theatre can’t tour the EU, then nobody can do it.” – Alex Andreou
Presented by Dorian Lynskey with Nina Schick, Alex Andreou and Ros Taylor. Produced by Andrew Harrison. Assistant producers: Jacob Archbold and Jelena Sofronijevic. Audio production by Alex Rees. OH GOD, WHAT NOW? is a Podmasters production.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.