34. When Swimming Upstream Is The Only Option
Each of us is good at something; the hard part, perhaps, is finding out what we are good at. But once we have that figured out, we need to be brave and walk towards the tiny light at the end of the tunnel. Our faith and courage will give us the strength to put the backpack on and slog into the tunnel, and we will see the light become brighter, and we will eventually emerge on the other side, victorious.
We must have an open mindset, never say no to new challenges, and, like in today's story, be willing to move beyond our tribes to expand our views.
Joining me today is Patti Pao - Founder and CEO at Restorsea LLC. She has a BS in Business Administration and Management from the University of California, in Berkeley, and a Master of Business Administration from the Harvard Business School. She has vast experience in Brand Management and sales. Patti worked as Sr. Manager in Avon, Vice President Brand Manager in David's Bridal, and CEO of The Pao Principle LLC. With Restorsea, she created the first efficacious, clinically-tested, naturally-derived anti-aging skincare line, thanks to her curiosity and talent.
In this episode, we talked about when and how she decided she wasn't a good marketer, despite being a very successful one. She shared the incredible story of how a visit to a salmon hatchery in Norway ended up creating her successful skincare line. We spoke about what she learned from luxury goods and the "keep threading the needle" attitude. We also talked about how COVID affected her business and how the pandemic helped her discover she is a wartime leader.
Tune in and listen to Episode 34 of Moving Beyond Your Tribe and hear Patti's fantastic story about how moving beyond her tribe changed her life completely.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What took you to Norway? (2:06)
- Sometimes we assume that you can take the same marketing formula somewhere else. Is that what you were seeing differently? (9:40)
- You decided to change your route to market, and then your investors asked "What are you doing?" How did you resolve it? (13:09)
- Tell us a little bit about your products. (17:57)
- Do people at all order the retail product? Or is it mostly the dermatology project now? (25:19)
- What do you think is next for Restorsea? (31:17)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Patti's first steps into discovering what she is good at (4:19)
- Pros and Cons of having celebrities advertising our products (11:34)
- A huge lesson learned about doctors and sales (14:11)
- Finding an enzyme in Norway - the start of everything (20:21)
- You can either sit and cry or look for a solution during a crisis (25:44)
- Patti's life hack (35:54)
Connect with Patti:
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.