Gloriavale – Part 2
Gloriavale Christian Community is recognised around New Zealand for the distinctive dress of its members, especially the women, who wear headscarves to denote submission to men, and a neck-to-ankle garment designed by the group’s Australian founder, Neville Cooper. Some say the community represents a pious life set up around ideals of sharing everything, but others say the way it’s set up is breeding predators.
Guests: Hannah Harrison, Liz Gregory
With thanks to Audio-Technica, presenting partner for season 4 of Let's Talk About Sects.
If you have been personally affected by involvement in a cult, or would like to support those who have been, you can find support or donate to Cult Information and Family Support if you’re in Australia (via www.cifs.org.au), and you can find resources outside of Australia with the International Cultic Studies Association (via www.icsahome.com).
If you or someone you know is in crisis or needs support right now, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 in Australia, or find your local crisis centre via the International Association for Suicide Prevention website at www.iasp.info.
Written and hosted by Sarah Steel
Research by Haley Gray and Sarah Steel
Music by Joe Gould
Edited by Corey Green of Transducer Audio
- Gloriavale Christian Community — official website, accessed March 2021
- Gloriavale Leavers’ Support Trust — official website, accessed March 2021
- The Christian Church Community Trust Charities Services Investigation — 22 December 2016, supplied under the Official Information Act to Newsroom and published 28 March 2017
- Lilia Tarawa — official website, accessed March 2021
- Who was Hopeful Christian and how did he rise to notoriety at Gloriavale? — by Brad Flahive, Stuff, 15 May 2018
- Gloriavale: A World Apart — directed by Amanda Evans, 2016
- Gloriavale: The Return — directed by Amanda Evans, 2018
- Gloriavale leavers describe fear, oppression in community — Logan Church, Checkpoint, RNZ, 14 November 2019
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.