Chung Moo Quan
Chung Moo Quan positioned itself as a superior martial arts school that taught eight different practices at once. Though this may have originally struck prospective students as a bargain-and-a-half, many who chose to take it up would come out the other end having lost thousands of dollars, personal relationships and job opportunities, and even their sense of self. Before the school’s founder and four other defendants were jailed in 1995, various experts had told reporters that Chung Moo Quan fit their definition of a destructive cult.
Special Guest: Russell Johnson.
Full research sources listed on each episode page at www.ltaspod.com.
If you have been personally affected by involvement in a cult, or would like to support those who have been, you can find support or donate to Cult Information and Family Support if you’re in Australia (via www.cifs.org.au), and you can find resources outside of Australia with the International Cultic Studies Association (via www.icsahome.com).
If you or someone you know is in crisis or needs support right now, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 in Australia, or find your local crisis centre via the International Association for Suicide Prevention website at www.iasp.info.
- Deceived: The Moo Years — podcast by Russell Johnson, with many resources from his research
- Herding the Moo: Exploits of a Martial Arts Cult — by Joe Smith, Trafford Publishing, 2006
- Martial arts school owners convicted — UPI, 10 December 1996
- Chung Moo Quan Handbook
- Investigators: Students take aim at martial arts school — by Chris Ingalls, KING 5 News, 16 February 2005
- The Cult and the Con — special report by Pam Zekman, CBS 2 Chicago, 1989
- Martial Arts School Chief Found Guilty in Tax Scam — by Matt O'Connor, Chicago Tribune, 10 December 1996
- Chung Moonies? Critics call martial-arts club a cult of violence and greed — by Ric Kahn, The Boston Phoenix, 25 October 1991
- Be True to Your School — by Jennifer Vogel, City Pages, 1 April 1992
- Martial Arts School Link to Body Found in Forest Probed — MARTIAL ARTS SCHOOL LINK TO BODY FOUND IN FOREST PROBED by Harlene Ellin, Chicago Tribune, 12 October 1991
- The Martial Arts Cult of John C. Kim — by Laurence Gonzales, unpublished article for Penthouse, 5 May 1992
- Vivien Francis vs. John C....
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.