The Outskirts of the Outskirts
Maria and Julio talk with Alex Roque, executive director at the Ali Forney Center in New York City and ITT All-Star Imara Jones, creator of TransLash Media about how LGBTQ youth of color are coping during the coronavirus pandemic.
This episode was reported and produced by In the Thick's New York Women’s Foundation IGNITE! Fellow, Harsha Nahata.
ITT Staff Picks:
- "With schools closed amid the pandemic, some LGBTQ young people have lost crucial support systems and are self-isolating with unsupportive relatives," writes Sakshi Venkatraman for NBC News.
- This homeless shelter for LGBTQ youth in Washington D.C. fights to stay open during the pandemic via The Washington Post.
- On this episode of TransLash Media's Lives At Stake series, Imara Jones talks with guests about how trans and gender-nonconforming communities are responding to the COVID-19 crisis.
Resources for LGBTQ Youth:
- The Trevor Project offers crisis support 24/7 at 1-866-488-7386 and via chat every day at TheTrevorProject.org/Help, or by texting "START" to 678-678.
- Trans Lifeline provides a peer support hotline and microgrants for trans people in need. You can call their hotline at 877-565-8860.
- Via CenterLink: This map provides information on LGBTQ Community Centers across the country.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.