8. Aleks Totic, of Mosaic and Netscape
Aleks Totic was one of the original Mosaic engineers at the NCSA, responsible for the Mac version of Mosiac. They don’t call him “Mac Daddy” for nothing. He was then one of the 6 original programmers recruited by Marc Andreessen and Jim Clark to form Netscape. Aleks gives us some excellent behind the scenes anecdotes about both projects, and what it was like to head out to California to work on some crazy startup before doing something like that was “cool.”
A few fun nuggets of history we mention in the conversation:
- Click to hear Marc Andreessen ask, “What is global hypermedia?” back in 1993.
- The famous whiteboard. They packed up the truck and moved to Beverly Mountain View
- Original Mozilla t-shirt designs.
- 20-year old photos of the NSCP team.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.