Country Over Party: Nick Troiano
Angry rhetoric, narrow partisanship, and leaders who appeal only to their base are all reasons why American politics is in urgent need of reform.
Our guest, 29-year-old Nick Troiano, Executive Director of Unite America, is a leading voice of the reform movement, who supports changes aimed at reducing gridlock, boosting voter participation, and finding common ground. "We are caught in a democracy that is spiraling in a very negative direction and the question before us is how do we break that," Nick tells us.
Among his solutions:
- End gerrymandering. Independent commissions, not partisan legislators, would decide the shape Congressional districts.
- Ranked-choice voting. Instead of choosing just one candidate, voters would have the option of ranking candidates according to their preference.
- Reform primary rules, and allow independents to vote in party primaries.
- Campaign finance reform. Allow small donors to have more influence at the expense shadowy "dark money" special interest groups.
- Encourage support for The Problem Solvers Caucus and other bipartisan coalitions in Congress and state legislatures.
- Voting reform. Expand polling hours, and legalize early and at-home voting.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.