#013: Michaelbrent Collings – Confessions of a Super-villain, tackling mental health, and mastering genre-hopping.
Michaelbrent Collings is an internationally bestselling novelist, produced screenwriter, and multiple Bram Stoker Award finalist. While he is best known for horror (and is one of the most successful indie horror authors in the United States), he's also written bestselling thriller, fantasy, science fiction, mystery, humor, young adult, and middle grade works, and Western Romance.
As a novelist, Michaelbrent has written dozens of bestsellers that have received critical acclaim, and he and his work have been featured on everything from mom-and-pop podcasts to Publishers Weekly, The San Francisco Book Review, NPR, and he’s recently given his first ever Ted Talk at TedX Rexburg
In this episode we go deep into:
- How Michael, as a horror author, celebrates Halloween
- Genre-hopping dos and don'ts
- Working within genres and keeping true to your interests
- Keeping on top of reading across so many genres
- Acquiring a TedX Talk
- The trials of living with mental health issues and finding mechanisms to cope
- How mental health issues have influenced Michaelbrent’s writing
- How Michaelbrent has created an empire around story
- Balancing work and social life as a full-time author
- Using parenthood as your break and inspiration
- Using humor to convey your story and grab reader’s attention, even in horror
- The many different masks of running an independent publishing business
- Why does Michaelbrent write?
Michaelbrent answers questions from Patrons:
- Harley Christensen: What tips do you have for moving beyond the mustache-twirling, cookie-cutter villains to create captivating, compelling and relatable baddies that readers hate to love (but do so anyway)? What are some of your favorite examples of villains done well (and why)?
- Ian J Middleton: What was the most challenging genre to write in?" and "what piece of work are you most proud of?
- Jon Cronshaw: How do you brand/market himself to so many disparate groups of readers?
Find out more about Michaelbrent Collings:
Links from the show:
Special thanks to:
Intro vocals: Persephone Rose
Show theme: Karl Hughes
Become a Patron of the show! Get exclusive bonus content, find your tribe, and get early access to all episodes.
Thank you to my patrons:
Ian J Middleton
Jerry EvanoffFor information regarding your data privacy, visit acast.com/privacy