#042: Garrett Robinson – Serializing fantasy, making it through the hard times, and changing the world with fiction.
Garrett Robinson is the author of #1 bestselling Amazon fantasy series, “The Nightblade Epic”, a heroic fantasy saga with tens of thousands of avid readers. The epic is set in the land of Underrealm, alongside a second bestselling series, “The Academy Journals.” His imprint, Legacy Books, has published over 2 dozen fantasy titles, showcasing fresh writing talent in the genre. Garrett is also a filmmaker, and successful YouTube talent, with brand new vlogs hitting his channel every Friday.
In this episode we go deep into:
- Garrett’s advice for anyone who hasn’t watched Hamilton yet
- Garrett’s experience working in filmmaking, screenwriting, and directing, and how that segued into his writing career
- The origins of his hit series “Underrealm"
- Letting your story grow in your mind until you’re professionally ready to write it
- Allowing yourself time to develop as an artist
- The experience of writing and releasing serial fiction, and how that has changed over the years
- How to come out of bouts of non-writing
- Leveraging Patreon to create a sustainable career
- Talking yourself through the tough stuff and coming out on the other side
- Controlling your use of social media to avoid distraction and procrastination
- The realities of living as a full-time creative
- How global disruption affects your personal state
- Putting yourself first before you reach out and start helping others
- Generating real social change with your fiction
- How to approach serialization as a writer
- Keeping an eye on the long-term when creating your marketing strategies
Garrett answers questions from Patrons:
- Yanni Jade: "You're currently releasing your novel in episodes like with the previous books, what are the pros and cons to publishing this way?"
- H.B. Lyne: Do you have any tips for balancing writing with YouTubing. How does he fit it all in?
- Jenn Mitchell: Do you approach the story telling process the same way when writing and making a film? Are there differences between the two for you?
Find out more about Garrett:
Links from the show:
Garrett’s Episode on “The Story Studio” https://open.spotify.com/episode/67ODq5qyQCZaS7jeUb3DvX?si=hrmrE3FKTUKy_Ej1SR2ciA
Garrett’s Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/garrettbrobinson
Special thanks to:
Intro vocals: Persephone Rose
Show theme: Karl Hughes
Become a Patron of the show! Get exclusive bonus content, find your tribe, and get early access to all episodes.
Thank you to my patrons:
Ian J Middleton
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.