Dr. Roger Seheult from MedCram on COVID-19 Vaccines, Vitamin D, and Heat Hydrotherapy
In other words, when it comes to COVID-19 for Dr. Seheult... it's personal. He has worked tirelessly not just to help people find their way back to wellness as a critical care provider, but he broadcasts the insights he has gained realtime to the 1 million subscribers listening to his medical lecture platform he co-founded with physician assistant Kyle Allred.
Listen to this episode to hear Dr. Seheult's thoughts on:
- 00:06:20 - How MedCram Videos got started and the future of medical education from Dr. Seheult's standpoint.
- 00:09:37 - What to do when life is on the line and the usual hierarchy of evidence doesn't exist, as in early emergency COVID-19 treatment.
- 00:12:46 - The crucial differences in treating early vs. late-stage COVID-19 illness.
- 00:14:40 - How doctors would've treated COVID-19 one-hundred years ago.
- 00:18:13 - How increasing ventilation may powerfully impact COVID-19 disease transmission and why airplanes have surprisingly little disease transmission.
- 00:20:28 - How masks are virtually universally beneficial in the pandemic regardless of type.
- 00:21:32 - Vitamin D and COVID-19
- 00:22:22 - How the steroid chemical structure of vitamin D confers qualities on vitamin D that other vitamins ("vital amines") do not possess, such as membrane permeability that provides access to the nucleus and broad gene regulatory effects mediated by a specialized vitamin D receptor element.
- 00:23:24 - How calcium homeostasis, which was the early and exclusive focus for scientists and doctors that were trying to determine the ideal vitamin D levels, may have caused the RDA to be set too low since we now know vitamin D regulates around 5% of the protein-encoding genome and have much broader effects.
- 00:24:23 - How the hormonal role of vitamin D confers on it properties more similar to other hormones like testosterone and cortisol rather than those of ordinary vitamins.
- 00:26:21 - The surprising level of overlap between COVID-19 positivity and groups most affected by vitamin D deficiency and the surprise finding of how less than 50 ng/mL blood levels of vitamin D associated with greater likelihood of SARS-CoV-2 positivity in the hospital.
- 00:30:27 - How scientists are able to interrogate the effects of low vitamin D levels through genetic research, a type of study known as mendellian randomization.
- 00:34:20 - The gene regulatory effects of vitamin D and the implications for the scale of its biological impact.
- 00:35:49 - How Vitamin D's ACE2/renin-angiontensin-promoting effects may be mechanistically involved in the effects observed in vitamin D COVID-19 studies.
- 00:42:00 - Why ameliorating vitamin D deficiency in one large monthly bolus might be less effective than daily or weekly doses.
- 00:43:23 - How a prescription-only form of vitamin D known as Calcifediol might have an advantage in acute care for COVID-19.
- 00:47:06 - Why skin synthesis of vitamin D from UV B radiation can be extraordinarily unreliable when compared to supplementation.
- 00:53:43 - What the safest dose range for vitamin D is that should also address deficiency in most populations.
- 01:06:15 - The beneficial circadian effect of early morning sunlight.
- 01:07:38 - How sleep deprivation is meaningfully implicated in profound and immediate impairment of viral immunity.
- 01:12:08 - Dr. Seheult's suggestions for how to achieve the highest quality of sleep.
- 01:19:18 - How a century old sanitarium technique used during the Spanish flu era massively boosts interferon by up to ten-times using heat exposure.
- 01:22:38 - How genetic and antibody-induced failures of the interferon system underpin up to 14% of all severe cases of COVID-19 and why interferon is so vitally important for viral response.
- 01:26:43 - Why treating the symptoms of fever during the spanish flu turned out to not be a good idea, immunologically speaking.
- 01:31:58 - Dr. Seheult's on-going research into using hot hydrotherapy as a viral immunity booster.
- 01:47:00 - COVID-19 Vaccines
Here's some web pages related to the show and this episode that we think you should check out...