COVID-19 Q&A #2 - Antibody-Dependent Enhancement, Cross-Immunity, Immunity Duration & More
This is a continuation of the last episode where Dr. Patrick took questions from newsletter subscribers around the on-going pandemic and tried to add value by talking about some of the recent research, among other things.
Some of the topics that came up as a result of the questions submitted include:
- 00:04:03 - Data surrounding SARS-CoV-2 duration
- 00:06:37 - SARS-CoV-2 and potential immunity
- 00:11:35 - Some of the main factors known to play a role in immune variation
- 00:12:05 - What role genetics may play in immune function
- 00:14:27 - How previous viral exposure regulates immunity
- 00:15:05 - What cross immunity is and how it may be relevant for SARS-CoV-2
- 00:19:46 - Antibody-dependent enhancement and SARS-CoV-2 relevance
- 00:21:50 - How sleep is a key regulator of immune function
- 00:23:44 - Microbiome composition and immune function
- 00:28:31 - The differential effects of exercise intensity and duration on immune regulation
- 00:35:00 - How specific micronutrient inadequacies may promote immune dysregulation
- 00:47:20 - The effect of sex hormones on immune function
- 00:48:55 - How biological age age may play a role in immune regulation
- 00:49:46 - Controversy surrounding hypertension drugs such as ACE inhibitors and COVID-19
- 00:53:15 - ARDS and long-term lung damage
This episode mentions a number of genetic polymorphisms that affect viral entry into the host cell, viral replication, host immune response ranging from cytokine production to viral-induced inflammation, SNPs that affect vitamin D levels and more. If you have used any consumer-based genetic testing services like 23andMe or Ancestry DNA we have a free viral report with these SNPs that you can check out.
If you enjoy this content or any of the associated content, I can promise you that not only does the premium membership help bring MORE of it into the world in a broadly accessible format, that membership also comes with some really great benefits just for members. Members enjoy extra science emails twice per month, my monthly Question & Answer sessions, and a whole lot more. Support the show and get cool perks, that's the bottom line.