Episode 35 — Why Spotify ❤️ Podcasts
In this episode recorded on Valentine’s Day, we talk about Spotify’s intensifying love affair with podcasts. Joined by Adam and Christina from the strategy team, we talked through what Spotify’s recent acquisitions of Gimlet Media and Anchor means for the company, for the other podcast players (mainly Apple), and for the future of the entire podcast industry. Adam also reveals his long-winded personal history with podcasts. Take a listen and feel the love (for podcast).
What We Covered:
- Why Spotify bought Gimlet Media and Anchor
- The different economics between music streaming and podcasting
- What Apple could do in podcasting in response to Spotify’s big moves
- How Spotify’s aggregation strategy could change the podcast ecosystem
- How this whole thing calls back to two of our Outlook 2019 trends: “Unbundling of Social and Search” and “Media Have & Have-nots”
- We laugh about how our editor Richard hates Valentine’s Day.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.