FFR 148: Nomadland
Today on the podcast Anita and Carolyn are hitting the road (figuratively, if not literally) to discuss NOMADLAND, the critically acclaimed film written, directed, AND edited by next year’s Eternals director Chloe Zhao. The film is gorgeous, as through main character Fern (played by Frances McDormand) it paints a picture of nomadic survival in the real life culture of American workers without roots, following sporadic work opportunities with no safety net beyond what fellow travelers can offer. Listen in as we discuss all the ways this film succeeds at telling a thoughtful, complex story about poverty, the failings of American Capitalism, and the intricacies and complexities of human relationships and grief.
Make a Donation to our end of year campaign at http://www.feministfrequeny.com/donate
5:30 - Main discussion on Nomadland
41:22 - What’s your Freq Out?
- Mrs. Fletcher - the HBOMax series
- Dolly Parton’s America - the podcast series
- Haven - the video game from The Game Bakers
- Feminist Frequency on Twitch, streaming every Thursday at 6pm PT and every Saturday at 12pm PT for the entire month (Dec 2020) - https://www.twitch.tv/femfreq
- Carolyn’s review of Cyberpunk 2077 for Polygon - https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22158019/cyberpunk-2077-review-cd-projekt-red-pc-ps4-xbox-one-stadia
- Chloe Zhao article in The Hollywood Reporter - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/director-chloe-zhao-arrives-with-hot-oscar-contender-nomadland-and-next-years-eternals
- Join our Patreon
- Our Website
- Subscribe to FFR on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to our Star Trek Podcast