Mini Episode: Music in Ancient Egypt (Part 1) Songs of Praise
Instruments, Musicians, and Songs.
In this mini episode, we explore the traces of ancient Egyptian songs and music. Although the melodies and rhythms are lost, we still have lyrics, instruments and artwork detailing some of these arts. From this, we can understand how certain instruments were played, and what different artists tried to achieve. Plus, modern reconstructions can give us a hint at the soundscape of ancient Egypt.
Musical Interludes (by permission):
- Flute: Erik the Flutemaker (Youtube) (Website)
- Sistrum: Tahya of HathorSystrum (Youtube) (Website)
- Harp: Michael Levy (Website)
- Prayer: Michael Atherton (Website)
- Drums: Jeffrey Goodman (Youtube) (Website)
This is Part One; a second part (including an interview with composer Jeffrey Goodman) will follow soon.
Images and Bibliography at egyptianhistorypodcast.com
The History of Egypt Podcast is on Patreon! Gain perks at patreon.com/egyptpodcastFor information regarding your data privacy, visit acast.com/privacy