How to be a CEO: David Shelley
Life Lessons from a top CEO. David Shelley is Group CEO of Hachette UK, the second largest British book publishing group. He's held that position since 2018, and will soon also add the CEO role for the company’s United States’ division, Hachette Book Group, to his roster. He will move to New York to take up the role in January. This conversation is all about what it takes to become and remain a top CEO, and the impact holding a position like that has on someone. In this episode, recorded live at the FutureBook Conference 2023, David talks about:
- Imposter syndrome and fear, and how scary situations become easier the more you expose yourself to them
- What an 'omnivert' is, and how to find the necessary balance between connection and solitude
- Being willing to take on bruising feedback and adapt accordingly
- How being a CEO does mean people treat you 'differently', and how to remain grounded
- How to identify what will make the most impact at work, and the vital importance of saying no
- How to make your diary work for you
- The art of retaining perspective and putting passion before ambition
My debut book - Champion Thinking: How to Find Success Without Losing Yourself - is available for pre-order now. Drawing on some of my favourite interviews from this podcast over the last five years, I want to challenge our ideas about 'success', and where peace, happiness and lasting fulfilment are truly to be found.
PRE-ORDER - https://www.simonmundie.com/book
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.