799: Eleanor Beaton – The Case for Non-Revenue-Centered Business
What do we tend to center our business goals around? Revenue, right? In this episode, find out why that might not be the best idea…and what to do differently. As my guest, Eleanor Beaton, says, “the hunt for immediate revenue can hold us back from making long-term decisions that actually create sustainable, long-term wealth.” In this fascinating conversation, Eleanor and I talk about the need for long-term thinking, the downsides of constant urgency, and the power of building a business ecosystem. Through building an ecosystem of scalable processes, revenue-generation can simply become a natural by-product of the ecosystem you’ve built.
Eleanor Beaton is the founder of SafiMedia, an education & coaching company for women entrepreneurs. SafiMedia is committed to advancing global gender equity one woman-owned business at a time. Together with her colleagues, Eleanor is on a mission is to double the number of women entrepreneurs who scale past $1M in revenue by 2030. Eleanor hosts the Power + Presence + Position podcast, a top-ranked podcast for female founders with over 1.7 million downloads to date. The former chair of the Visiting Women’s Executive Exchange Program at the Yale School of Management, Eleanor has been featured in publications including The Globe & Mail, The Atlantic and Forbes.
And be sure to subscribe to The Self-Employed Life in Apple Podcasts or follow us on Spotify or wherever you listen to podcasts so you don’t miss an episode.
Everything you need can all be found at jeffreyshaw.com.
Eleanor Beaton, thank you so much for being here!Remember, you might be in business FOR yourself but you are not in business BY yourself. Be your best self. Be proud and keep changing the world. Guest Contact –
- Books by Jeffrey Shaw
- Business Coaching for Entrepreneurs
- The Self-Employed Summit
- Watch my TEDx LincolnSquare video and please share!
- The Self-Employed Business Institute — You know you're really good at what you do. You're talented, you have a skill set. The problem is you're probably in a field where there is no business education. This is common amongst self-employed people! And, there's no business education out there for us! You also know that being self-employed is unique and you need better strategies, coaching, support, and accountability. The Self-Employed Business Institute, a five-month online education is exactly what you need. Check it out!
- Take The Self-Employed Assessment! — Ever feel like you're all over the place? Or frustrated it seems like you have everything you need for your business success but it's somehow not coming together? Take this short quiz to discover the biggest hidden gap that’s keeping you from having a thriving Self-Employed Ecosystem. You’ll find out what part of your business needs attention and you'll also get a few laser-focused insights to help you start closing that gap.
- Have Your Website Brand Message Reviewed! — Is your website speaking the right LINGO of your ideal customers? Having reviewed hundreds of websites, I can tell you 98% of websites are not. Fill out the simple LINGO Review application and I'll take a look at your website. I'll email you a few suggestions to improve your brand message to attract more of your ideal customers. Fill out the application today and let's get your business speaking the right LINGO!
Host Jeffrey Shaw is a Small Business Consultant, Brand Management Consultant, Business Coach for Entrepreneurs, Keynote Speaker, TEDx Speaker and author of LINGO and The Self Employed Life (May 2021). Supporting self-employed business owners with business and personal development strategies they need to create sustainable success.