#20 Going Gradeless in the Traditional Classroom with Starr Sackstein (以實質的學習回饋取代傳統分數)
This episode is all about hacking assessments. If you have been thinking about changing assessment but don’t know how to do it, I hope in this episode, you can get some practical actions to take. If you have never thought about changing it, this episode will give you a different insight. Today we are excited to have Starr Sackstein to share with her amazing hacks for transforming this paradigm.
Starr Sackstein has been an educator since 2001 and left her role as the director of humanities in the West Hempstead Union Free School District to become a full-time consultant with the Core Collaborative. Starr was named an ASCD "Emerging Leader" class of 2016 and gave a TEDx Talk called "A Recovering Perfectionist's Journey to Give Up Grades."
She has authored many books for teachers. For example , Teaching Students to Self-Assess, Hacking Assessment: 10 Ways to Go Gradeless in a Traditional Grades School, Peer Feedback in the Classroom and the list goes on. Starr has traveled the world sharing ideas about assessment reform in Dubai and South Korea and is hoping to continue changing the system for kids everywhere.
Please visit our website for more show notes: ( https://compassteacher.com/ )
- Have you been frustrated with the struggles to give meaningful feedback?
- How confident are you with your understanding of every student's learning progress?
What can you do tomorrow
- Guide your students with reflections after an assessment which can help you understand if the assessment is helpful. Few steps to take:
- Ask students what they think the assessment is asking them to do?
- Ask students what steps they took to complete it? How they overcame the struggles?
- Students find the evidence to support the standards they achieved.
- Students grade themselves by evidence
- Reflect what they would do differently next time.
Song Tracks Credits
- Opening & Ending: Inspiration written by Rafael Krux. Positive, uplifting and inspiring track suitable for commercials and advertising.
- The breaks in the middle
- Dancing in the Isles by Sonny Lauderdale
- Sunny Sunday Swing by Jonathan Boyle
“Compass teachers” is to share educators around the world with teaching tactics, education research or helpful tools. Amazing ideas to experiment in the classroom.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.