140 The Legacy Christian Academy Scandal—Part 1
[ Part 1 of 3 ] Since August of 2022, a cascade of distressing allegations have come to light by former students of a deeply intertwined evangelical Christian school and the church that runs it. So far, criminal charges have been laid on four men in positions of authority.... and more are likely to come.
- CONTENT WARNING: This series is about allegations of physical, sexual, psychological and spiritual abuse of students and minors at their church-run Christian school. There is heavy focus on corporal punishment, details of grooming and sexual assault of minors, mention of anti-LGBTQ+ and racist rhetoric, mention of self-harm and suicidal ideation. There are also details of religious, spiritual and supernatural beliefs as they relate to these specific allegations.
While these allegations have resulted in criminal charges, they haven’t yet been proven or tested in court.
In this three-part series, you’ll hear the stories that led to these allegations, as we explore how a set of beliefs that demand absolute conformity and obedience from children—and rely on physical punishment as the main motivator, can be ripe for unchecked abuse. Years of alleged gaslighting, conditioning and indoctrination set up students of Legacy Christian Academy and schools like it to be “perfect victims”—taught to blindly submit to authority, doubt the reality of their own experiences, and fear any number of consequences for speaking up.
- CLASS ACTION: See Latest info and download the Legal Statement of Claim [PDF]
- CBC News investigation: Exorcisms, violent discipline and other abuse alleged by former students of private Sask. Christian school | CBC News by Jason Warick
- Follow Caitlin Erickson on Twitter and Tiktok
- Subscribe to the Legacy of Abuse Podcast and follow on TikTok, Twitter, and Patreon
- Donate to the GoFundMe for the Legacy of Abuse Class Action Lawsuit.
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.