What You Need to Know Before Hiring A Web Designer
If you think that what your website looks like isn’t important to your business, think again. Research shows that 75% of people base the credibility of a business on how their website looks. In today’s episode, we run through a number of questions that we think are important to ask before you enter into a business relationship with a website designer. As website designers ourselves, we share how we would answer these questions, and what the red flags are to look out for. The key word in our discussion is transparency; not everybody is transparent, and it’s understandable that website designers are fearful of being open about their trade secrets, but transparency is something you should not compromise on when hiring a website designer. Our conversation covers everything from contracts to pricing to availability, and our advice will help you make an informed decision about an incredibly important element of your business.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Andrew and John’s childhood career aspirations.
- A statistic which highlights the importance of prioritizing what your website looks like.
- The amount of money that a quarter of small businesses spend on their website.
- Understandable fears that website designers have around being transparent, and why those fears need to be overcome.
- Question number one that you should be asking the potential designer of your website.
- Value of speaking to the past clients of the website designed you are considering hiring.
- Why you should ask agencies about their process.
- The technology that we use for our processing at Beefy.
- A red flag to look out for when speaking to potential designers of your website.
- Why we recommend asking website designers how much time they have available.
- Examples of the other services that your website designer could offer you.
- The importance of ensuring your website is mobile friendly.
- Problems that occur if your website isn’t properly maintained.
- Benefits of looking at website designers’ portfolios.
- What a website designers contract should contract.
- Different approaches to pricing.
“75% of people base the credibility of a business on how their website looks.” — @abrockenbush [0:04:59]
“Don’t be afraid to research at all. If you don’t know something, don’t be afraid to ask a question or look into it.” — John [0:12:22]
“If you don't have processes in place, you need to get them in place yesterday.” — John [0:16:39]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: