579: Mark Manson | Self-Help for People Who Hate Self-Help
You may recognize Mark from his book, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck - the most read non-fiction book of 2017. Since releasing the book, he has spoken at some of the most successful companies and top schools in the world with a mission to improve the public conversation around personal development and happiness.
Don’t miss this episode, where you’ll find out from Mark, and his story, what can happen when you learn how to not give a f*ck.
Things you will learn in this episode:
*[00:01 - 06:51] Opening Segment*
* Sponsored ad
* I introduce today’s guest, Mark Manson
* Two-time #1 Best-Seller
* Most read Non-fiction book of 2017
* Small warning about the language content in this episode
* Mark gives some background
* Growing up in Austin, Texas - conservative and traditional
* Rejecting the norms of society as a kid
*[06:53 - 11:30] A Compulsive Need for Honesty and Authenticity*
* Mark continues his story
* Starting his first business around relationship advice
* Obsession for authenticity in relationships
* Going to college in Boston
* A word from our sponsor
*[11:31 - 23:19] Self-Help for People Who Hate Self-Help*
* Mark talks about his self-discovery
* Graduating into a financial crash
* Learning how to work remotely
* Going into blogging
* The spark leading to writing philosophy
* Gaining popularity
* Starting into research
* The issues in relationships start within
* Relationship with the self-help industry
* Self-help for people who hate self-help
* A break away from traditional philosophy
* Mark’s story about getting invited to a conference
* An epidemic of narcissism in this industry
*[23:20 - 28:46] How to Not Give a F*ck*
* Mark talks about the reasoning behind his book
* Free to write about all these topics
* Confronting the norms
* Finding your real values
* The right thing at the right time for the right people
* The after-effects of releasing the book
* Defying expectations
* What the meteoric rise feels like
*[28:47 - 37:07] Closing Segment*
* Who are we and why are we here?
* Mark talks about his journey becoming a successful author
* What it means to do something meaningful
* Your relationship with others and yourself
* Who you know or what you know?
* If you know the right people you’ll be fine
* How it relates to meaning - material vs. meaning
* How to engage with Mark
* Links below
* Final words
“One thing I realized early on in my career was that I had this obsession for authentic relationships. Dishonesty or not portraying your true feelings, like - it just drives me crazy.” - Mark Manson
“There’s no point in talking about the relationship stuff if you’re not going to talk about the individual first.” - Mark Manson
“I think the people who are drawn to my work - they’re like me. They want to improve their lives, they want to be happier and have better relationships and feel better about themselves but they don’t buy into all the cheesy stuff.” - Mark Manson
* The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck ( https://www.amazon.com/Subtle-Art-Not-Giving-Counterintuitive/dp/0062457713 )
* The Four Hour Work Week ( https://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Workweek-Anywhere-Expanded-Updated/dp/B0031KN6T8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=four+hour+work+week&qid=1618201004&s=books&sr=1-1 )
* Everything is F*cked: A Message of Hope ( https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Is-F-cked-Mark-Manson-audiobook/dp/B07NXWC9V5/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=everything+is+fucked&qid=1618201780&s=audible&sr=1-1 )
Connect with Mark on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/IAmMarkManson?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor ) , Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/markmanson/?hl=en ) , Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/Markmansonnet/ ) , and YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0TnW9acNxqeojxXDMbohcA ). Be sure to check out https://markmanson.net/ to learn more about getting life advice that doesn’t suck.
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? *LEAVE A REVIEW* and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you! Share this episode and help someone who wants to connect with world-class people.
Jump on over to travischapel.com/makemypodcast ( https://travischappell.typeform.com/to/kmf5p4 ) and let my team make you your very own show!
If you want to learn how to build YOUR network, check out my website a travischappell.com ( https://travischappell.com/ ). You can connect with me on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/travis.chappell15 ) , Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/travischappell/ ) , and Twitter ( https://twitter.com/traviscchappell?lang=en ). Be sure to join The Lounge ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/byncommunity ) to become part of the community that’s setting up REAL relationships that add value and create investments.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy