590: Get Unbiased with Stacey A. Gordon
In today's episode of the As Told by Nomads Podcast, join me and Stacey A. Gordon as we talk about how you can approach the unconscious biases in yourself and in your organization. As a woman of color, the main reason why Stacey wrote the book UNBIAS: Addressing Unconscious Bias at Work was because she lived it. Being a subject that is personally close and familiar to her ever since she was young, Stacey expounds why biases aren't easily handled by many, how it exists, and how not to approach it. Tune in and join our discussion on how you can get unbiased in this episode!
Where can biases take you?
Stacey believes there is no such thing as one person with not one bias. Each individual will have some type of prejudice in one way or another because of what makes them up as beings. Where you grew up, your culture, your family, your education, and others can all contribute to what composes your bias. Biases can also then motivate other things. One case is what happened to Stacey and her former childhood friend. When they were young, Stacey would always hang and bike around with this boy-neighbor. Regularly, Stacey would wait for this boy so that they could play or ride bikes. Until one time, Stacey waited very long. While on her bike, she stayed longer than usual outside of the boy's house. When her friend finally greeted her outside, he told her that his mom said they could no longer be friends because she was black. And just like that, Stacey no longer had a friend. This experience is an example of where biases can come from and lead to.
Outline of the episode:
- [02:32]Why did Stacey write a book about unconscious biases?
- [06:01]Empowered minorities create more equity.
- [08:27]There is a rush to be reactive and performative.
- [12:02]When addressing biases in your organization, how do you start?
- [18:33]How can you make a business or a career shift out of your lived experiences?
- [21:08]Honor your passion, but also honor your soul.
- [25:29]Your bias shields you from the alienating experiences of other people.
- [28:05]This is not my place.
- [33:23]Education on unconscious biases is an awareness builder.
- [37:26]There is never just 'one' best candidate for the job.
UNBIAS: Addressing Unconscious Bias at Work, Book: https://www.amazon.com/UNBIAS-Addressing-Unconscious-Bias-Work/dp/1119779049
Connect with Tayo Rockson and the As Told By Nomads Podcast on:
Personal Website: https://tayorockson.com
UYD Management: https://uydmanagement.com/
UYD Collective: https://tayorockson.com/uyd-collective