468: Overcoming Cultural Divides With Howard Ross
Today's interview is with Howard Ross. Howard is a lifelong social justice advocate and the founding partner of Cook Ross. He’s considered one of the world’s seminal thought leaders on identifying and addressing Unconscious Bias. Howard has delivered programs in 47 states and over 40 other countries to audiences including Fortune 500 companies and major institutions within healthcare, government and non-profit sectors. He authored the Washington Post best seller, Everyday Bias: Identifying and Navigating Unconscious Judgments in Our Daily Lives and ReInventing Diversity: Transforming Organizational Community to Strengthen People, Purpose and Performance. His new book, Our Search for Belonging: How the Need for Connection Is Tearing Our Culture Apart describes how to bridge the divide in our increasingly polarized society.
In our interview, we discuss:
- How to create a safe space to engage with different points of view
- How to remove bias in areas such as recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and performance reviews
- Why organizations must provide training in interpersonal areas, such as diversity, inclusion and engaging in different points of view through a dialogue rather than a debate
- How the Whole Foods Market and Cracker Barrel Old Country Store factions fully exemplify our polarization
Resources Mentioned In The Episode
- Our Search for Belonging: How the Need for Connection Is Tearing Our Culture Apart: https://www.amazon.com/Our-Search-Belonging-Connect-Tearing/dp/1523095032/
- Howard Ross's Twitter page: https://twitter.com/HowardJRoss
- Use Your Difference to Make a Difference: https://www.amazon.com/Use-Your-Difference-Make-Cross-Cultural/dp/1119590698/
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.